Sunday, October 30, 2005

Right and wrong

I was talking with this girl Holly (she's sort of a fantasy/history buff, LOTR, Narnia, Harry Potter, etc.), and we were talking about the situations that characters find themselves in are almost always easy to decide because the Right and Wrong, and Good and Bad are completely defined. The path of the Truth is so easy and defined, maybe that's why those books are regarded as fantasy, becuase such situations of radical diferences between what is Good and what is not are really all that reallistic, sadly. She said something about wishing she could be in there, and I have felt that way many many times before. Sometimes, well, most of the time, I feel that the world is so pointless, unless it has some central meaning(religion). If you really let yourself run over all the things you did yesterday, will you really care in ten days, tens years? Does it all really matter? I mean, seriously, people need to have something to think about instead of "he broke up with her". C'mon!

Times are changing, the world is going to end sooner or later. Do we all really care that much who Brittany Spears is dating, or who won the World Series? Who gives? When we get wrapped up in all this crap, we find that we really just don't want think that anything matters. Where is the Truth, where is the Goodness? I've also been talking with Holly about the pointlessness of all this. This is one of the few girls that I know who think about this stuff. Nothing against girls(on the contrary, ...), but I'm sure you all know what they can be like in high school.

One of the main goals I hope to acomplish with my fabulous movies is to give the American Audience a little more than "Oh, he looks totally awesome" and "She's really cute". A little bit of "rattling the cage" to all those "Typical American Consumerists", Eh?

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I find it frustrating when people don't seem to care about questions like this, what does life mean and so on.

Do you think that religion is the same as "some central meaning to the world"? Some people say that we make our own meanings, that having a "central meaning to the world" is restrictive. But as with people being super, if everything is true, then nothing really is. What do you think? And what do you think about religions? Did Jesus come back to life, in which case you should probably follow him? Or was Mohammed really a prophet? Did Buddha really find enlightenment? People will be arguing about these things as long as they are able, but we each have the right (and therefore the responsibility) of our own opinions.

It's great that you want to give people something to think about with fabulous movies. I hope to do the same with fabulous books.

Keep on thinking!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Sephora said...

Tag! You're "it" ...

1. Go into your archives.
2. Find your 23rd post.
3. Post the fifth sentence (or closest to it).
4. Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions.
5. Tag five other people to do the same thing.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

From the sublime to Sephora, apparently...


;)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Sephora said...

Hey, I'm sublime just by BEING. Yeah, I guess that was a little "off topic." Perhaps I should have prefaced it with a more thoughtful comment.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think about those things...and im a girl

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world is full of meaning and it does point somewhere. I've just discovered your blog and am enjoying it. Keep up the good fight!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Em said...

True, a lot of people don't think about these things. I confess, I really don't think about it all that much. Maybe this is because I believe that God knows what he's doing here and that I trust him to show me what to do when I need him. Sure, when you look at the big picture from that view, a lot of life doesn't have a whole lot of worth. By that chain of logic, however, what worth will your movies have? A hundred years from now, people may not even know what they were, so what's the point in making them?
Not that I actually believe that last sentence, mind - that's just where I'd go when thinking that way. I think.
If everyone goes around thinking about the meaning of life and soforth, life is not that fun. God made this world and he expects us to use it and to live in it. He also gave us free will - and somewhat related to that is the fact that even if anything we do on Earth never matters, it all matters after death.
My point (do I have one?)is this - yes, humanity is pretty darn bad. But there is good in the world, as witnessed by our fabulous JP2. Ad if you think about the origins of humanity, how could it be any different. It's healthy to think about higher things, but we weren't made for just that. We have other gifts as well.
Good luck with your movie-making dreams, and on a somewhat random tangent, are you up for an oakies trip to Walk for Life West Coast in January? :)
I think that's the longest comment I've ever written. *runs away*

9:15 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Though provoking blog, D.

I like the sound of the indie film-making. We need more indie films in general, or at least for them to be appreciated by more people. But I think there are reasons they don't make it mainstream, people like their big, simple, flashy movies for quick entertainment and so on. Ah well. We do need someone to get the elusive 'message' across.

Also, remember how I said im an agnostic? Well, I bought a Bible today. I'm an agnostic who is searching. Just thought you might like to know.

Tera!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home