Thursday, August 04, 2005

Contemplation

(I wrote this in like 7th grade. Just found it again)

The Sea was rising and eating away again at the foot of the cliffs when I came out of the house. The Sea was a tiger, when aroused it would relentlessly continue to seek its quarry, and even death would not stop it. The tiger was spraying in the wind and the gulls were remarking about the weather to one another. I was wondering that the village fishermen were not out riding the swells and ripples of the tiger when I saw them gathered around a stranger, dark and mysterious, like an oak of the ancient forest. My brothers were among the throng around the newcomer eager for news of the outside world as well and eager to see someone new. My village was situated on some high cliffs that overlooked a shallow little harbor where the boats were anchored, waiting to play with the tiger. Nobody but our fishermen could get into the small mouth of the harbor because of the network of rocks just under the water. There were no maps or guidelines that could get anybody but men of this village through the mouth into the ocean. The men themselves hardy knew where to go and how to get around. It was instinct, deeply engraved into their minds from the years of fishing, starting before they could walk until the day the Sleep took them.

There was no computers or television here. Just life. Join the revolution and break free. Now. And I'm dead serious. Live music every night by the fire. The water breaking on the beach. Nothing but life. Real life. I want that life. I want it now. It's a hard life, but otherwise you're gonna be soft and fleshy for the rest of your time here. Life with your hands. Life with your physical skills. Mental creativity. Not this twisted pointless world we live in. I envy people who live with their hands. I know that I must follow through, but I still long for the ocean, green forests, or the times of old. I care not for the modern works of mankind. What do they achive? How does one appriciate such things? Where is the truth and beautity? Life and Love, happiness and friendship. Real things, back in the real old times.

Dave knows what he's talking about. Listen to him -I do all the time- Linkage

OOh, life it seems a struggle between
What we see, what we do
I'm not going to change my ways
Just to please you, or appease you
Inside a crowd, five billion proud
Willing to punch it out
Right, wrong, weak, strong
Ashes to ashes, all fall down
Look around about this roundabout
This merry-go-round and round
If at all God's gaze upon us falls
It's with a mischievous grin, look at him

Chorus

Look at me in my fancy car
And my bank account
Oh, how I wish I could take it all down
Into my grave, I'd save and save
Take a look again, take a look again,
Take a look again at things you have collected
In the end it all ties up so tall
To one big nothing, one big nothing at all

Chorus

Late at night with TV's hungry child
His belly swells
Oh, for a price of a coke or a smoke
I could keep alive those hungry eyes
Take a look again, take a look again
Every day things change, but basically they stay the same

2 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

Sadly, Dave Matthews is also adamantly pro-choice/abortion/birth-control/population control.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Moose said...

I'm not saying anything except that I totally agree with this song. I'll email it to you. There are a lot of Dave songs that I like the tune and the way the words fit together, but don't agree with the message. This song I agree with everything and It has some wonder rythm.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home