Friday, August 26, 2005

Literature

These two poems are ones that we went over in class in Honors American Liturature. really moved something in me. I got to thinking, and I'm definately looking into more Native American culture in the future. This is good stuff . . . .

I Went To Kill the Deer

Taos Pueblo Indian

I went to kill the deer
Deep in the forest where
The heart of the mountain beats
For all who live there.
An eagle saw me coming and
Flew down to the home of the deer
And told him that
A hunter came to kill.
The deer went with the eagle
Into the heart of the mountain
Safe from me who did not hear
The heart of the mountain beating.

I Have Killed the Deer

Taos Pueblo Indian

I have killed the deer.
I have crushed the grasshopper
And the plants he feeds upon.
I have cut through the heart
Of trees growing old and straight.
I have taken fish from water
And birds from the sky.
In my life I have needed death
So that my life can be.
When I die I must give life
To what has nourished me.
The earth receives my body
And gives it to the plants
And to the caterpillars
To the birds as
And to the coyotes
Each in its own turn so that
The circle of life is never broken.

Read it over and over again. I get to write an essay on 3 favorite lines from these.
Definately these ones but not sure about the third.

Safe from me who did not hear
The heart of the mountain beating.

Yeah, That's right. It makes me feel like the animals are so much better than me and I'm so unperceptive and I'm awefull. I like that.

When I die I must give life
To what has nourished me.

Yeah, right again. Man these indains sure knew what they were talking about. I mean, they were so in touch with nature and the rest of the world, I can't believe it. everything around me is so harsh and ugly. It's not like that in Nature. Need to break free and grow stuff and live off the land. But that is so selfish that I couldn't live with myself. I need to make tons of money directing and then ship it off to missionaries in India and Africa. I start filming next weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

If you want to live off the land, come out to Sebastopol and join the orgainc hippie farmers. They're always looking for new members and people to support them in their old age.
On a more serious note, the Indians seem to have the principle of stewardship down quite nicely. It's appealing, but there has to be a balance between respect for animals and respect for humanity. Some people who feel Animals are so much more superior have been known to burn down buildings and crop fields containing GMOs.
Sorry about teh comment of longness, I'm feeling strange today.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home